Since 1985, we have been covering feminist issues and stories. What has evolved? What has stalled? What are the frustrations and accomplishments of the past 35 years? Our retrospective book explores our coverage of:
- Gender-Based Violence
- Economic Power
- Political Leadership
- Feminism & Choice
On April 16, 1985, 40,000 Minnesota Women’s Press newspapers were delivered to Mollie Hoben’s garage in St. Paul for the first time. Volunteers were on hand to distribute “Volume 1, Number 1” to locations around the Twin Cities.
In the commemorative 140-page book “35 Years of Minnesota Women’s Press,” we offer a glimpse at the rich history of Minnesota women and explore issues that have long affected us. We see how much has accomplished, as well as equity that continues to be decades in making.
- Excerpts from a 1999 oral history project with 43 members founding team of the publication.
- Original essays from the four previous publishers, advocates and activists.
- The voices of current young women seeking multicultural curriculum, as well as coverage from decades ago, when Minnesota was to have been the first state to mandate guidelines for multicultural and gender-fair curricula.
- Reminders of optimism in the 1980s and 1990s around women’s political leadership, which was supposed to bring us closer to 50-50 representation. We quoted Arvonne Fraser in 1986: “I remember a fellow in Washington who told me, ‘You women are going to have to do it. Because we’re all captured by our institutions, and we don’t dare.’”
Four of the key issues listed by women at the time: pro-choice rights, passage of the Equal Rights Amendment, government-funded daycare, and comparable worth.
Sounds familiar, doesn’t it?
Order your copy today of this limited edition
Books were scheduled to ship out in April 2020. Because of COVID-19, we are delaying the print and launch party, and re-issuing our pre-order discount rate of $25. (The regular price is $35-for-35-years.)
- Reserve this book via our PayPal link; enter amount and click NEXT, or
- Send check to 800 West Broadway #3A, Minneapolis, MN 55411, or
- Contact email@example.com to use credit card. Fariba will call you for information
- Questions? Email 35BookOrders@womenspress.com