As we expand into Greater Minnesota with our Changemakers Alliance series, Minnesota Women’s Press needs a development director. Remote options, as well as the option for flexible hours at our 800 West Broadway office in North Minneapolis.
About Minnesota Women’s Press
Minnesota Women’s Press has been sharing the authentic voice and powerful vision of women since 1985, as the longest continuously running feminist publication in the U.S. The publication has pioneered story sharing especially with under-represented voices, including LBTQ+, and currently reaches 15K readers with free distribution in 440 distribution sites in 76 cities. It is rewarding work! Now womenspress.com is expanding.
About Changemakers Alliance
In January 2022, Minnesota Women’s Press launched Changemakers Alliance (CALL) to co-create our award-winning media platforms alongside statewide advocates and build action steps with engaged members who care about:
- electing women leaders;
- giving voice to people who are traditionally marginalized, such as BIPOC entrepreneurs restoring local ecosystems and economies;
- making an impact in public safety by healing trauma, reducing toxic masculinity, increasing supportive and affordable housing, and enacting smart gun legislation;
- examining Minnesota’s status in reproductive and transformative justice.
The Mission: Support a collaborative media platform that proactively connects passionate, engaged people statewide in conversations leading to solutions that solve problems of the next decade.
- Magazine/website: Showcase leadership of women and nonbinary solution-makers for readers.
- CALL: Connect leaders in conversations and action steps with “Be a Badass” membership community.
The Vision: Many long-standing statewide issues will be addressed by solidarity of women’s action.
Terms: This is a contract position that has good potential for co-publishing leadership for the right ambitious candidate. Starting base salary to be determined based on experience, and scales up with commissions. Commissions paid for landing underwriting contracts with businesses around the state, developing donation campaigns through Tiny News Collective fiscal agent (magazine is for-profit), and strategizing with publisher on membership model launched in September 2023.
Send cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Work with publisher to generate $5k+ donors, investors, and $10k+ underwriters for Changemakers Alliance projects.
- Seek Greater Minnesota and BIPOC partnerships — with women-led business owners, nonprofit organizations, influencers — to increase visibility of brand (magazine, website, CALL).
- Generate partnerships and sponsorships that could: provide bulk magazine issues to Greater Minnesota locations, pay honorariums to issues and solutions experts recorded in forums, support development of multimedia content.
- Help build online audience from 12% non-Twin Cities viewers to 30% in first year, including bridging communication between urban and rural members. [Currently, 48% of online readers are from Minneapolis and Saint Paul.]
- Strategize with CALL team to increase paid monthly memberships to 1K by April 2024.
- Work with publisher on budget and business development.
- Work with a marketing consultant on BIPOC and Greater Minnesota social media strategy.
- Communicate with underwriters and large donors (>$5k).
- Work alongside Outreach Director to maintain relationships with smaller monthly donors.
- Outreach to nonprofits, businesses, and other potential underwriters to foster relationships that create revenue.
- Attend networking and outreach events on behalf of Minnesota Women’s Press and Changemakers Alliance.
- Contribute to our team with open, timely communication to enhance trust and morale in our inclusive culture.
- Familiarize yourself with the brand to develop new ways of outreach and engagement.
- Oversee two sales and development specialists.
- Open to Greater Minnesota candidate
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset and enjoy the prospect of creating something new that serves a strong social justice mission.
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable with high volume outreach and social media platforms
- Familiarity with Apple computers and CRM systems; we are in the process of developing better automated tools
- Self-directed and able to meet deadlines
- Passion for women’s leadership and social change