The goal of true change agents is recognizing what prevents a person from achieving health, security, and connection — and actively working to add what is missing so that we have a society that truly thrives.
In this month’s theme of Statewide Equity, we take a step to name the inequities in Minnesota. Many states are fighting similar issues, and there is much we love about our state — but as new census data shows, for example, the Twin Cities’ housing crisis is the worst in the nation.
What happens when people cannot find affordable, safe, livable housing?
- As contributor Rachel Martin Asproth points out, lack of housing means many women stay in abusive relationships.
- Qannani Omar says certain neighborhoods are held hostage by a lack of development.
- Kassidy Tarala, and our Q&A conversation with housing experts, reveal other pain points and solutions.
- Feven Gerezgiher reports about the struggles of children in rural communities who need more mental health options.
- Demetria Dickinson writes about shoring up agricultural equity for emerging farmers.
Other stories are about the statewide effort to welcome Afghan refugees, and to support underpaid health-care workers who are leaving their jobs because of the pandemic workload.
Changemakers Alliance Update
Since 1985, our stories have revealed a state full of innovative and resilient women. Now we begin to put that power into the same virtual room.
Minnesota Women’s Press has launched a spinoff that includes conversations with experts, writers, readers, and solution-makers. The tagline: “Collaborative media created with Minnesotans who care about solving issues.”
We are excited about this new development. Use these links to register for conversations scheduled so far:
- February 9 and/or 12 — Legislative priorities
- March 9 and/or 12 — Stigma and addiction
- March 23 — Sex trafficking
- In development: Action teams involved in housing, mental health, restoring ecosystems, and state bridge-building
Table of Contents
Changemakers Alliance — Housing Experts Propose Solutions
Money & Business — Land Trust Cultivates Ownership
Education — Training Health-Care Workers in a Crisis
Immigration — Serving Afghan Refugees
Mental Health — Rural Kids Lack Mental Health Care
Ecolution — Supporting Emerging Farmers
BookShelf — The Fire She Fights
Thoughts — Reverberating Bodies