(BPT) - From phones and tablets, to computers and headphones, technology has quickly become an integral component within the daily lives of students of all ages.
A departure from the contents of students' backpacks as little as 10 years ago, these pieces of technology have, on the one hand, made students' lives easier - including communication and access to necessary information - but also have made the cargo in their bags much more valuable and, consequently, attractive to potential thieves.
Low-level theft is an unfortunate reality for schools across the nation. In fact, a recent study from the National Center for Education Statistics found that more students experience incidents of theft and violence at school than away from school. The crime rate works out to roughly 33 victimizations per 1,000 students at school per year. And with backpacks carrying more expensive tech, these thefts at school have left more at stake for students.
To make sure your child's valuable electronics, books and other essentials are safely stored away this school year, the security solutions experts at Master Lock have collected a handful of easy-to-follow safety measures to protect the belongings students - and their parents - value most.
* Is it necessary: A natural first step in helping to protect your child's valuable belongings is to establish if the item is a must-have in school. While they might love their new tablet, so might potential thieves. Having an open discussion about responsibility and what's necessary will go a long way in keeping their belongings safe.
* Quick change: By the time they hit middle school, many students are required to navigate the halls between classes with speed. To make sure they are not late to class while still securing their belongings, try the Master Lock Speed Dial Padlock. With up/down/left/right directional movements, the Master Lock Speed Dial Padlock provides students unparalleled quickness and convenience when opening their lockers in-between periods.
* Security on-the-move: Depending on the age, juggling a phone, keys, debit cards and other small valuables is a reality for many students walking the halls at school or paths on campus. The Master Lock Portable Personal Safe is an ideal solution for students looking to securely lock up their belongings between classes or in their dorms at college.
* Hide in plain sight: Larger electronics such as laptops, tablets and cameras can often come with their own carrying cases, and when thieves are looking for an item to steal, they look for the cases themselves, trusting the contents will be inside. To help protect your student's possessions, mix it up and find some other bag or transportation method to house their tech. If thieves don't see your student walking around with the case in their hands, they'll be less likely to realize there is something for them to steal.
* No key, no problem: While protecting from unwanted intruders, securely locking up a locker at school or in gym class can also accidentally keep out the owners themselves due to a forgotten combination or lost key. Master Lock's award-winning Indoor Bluetooth Padlock offers students a new way to keep their items safe via a Bluetooth-enabled padlock which turns their phones into the key. This eliminates the hassle of a forgotten combination and gives students a lock only they or authorized users can open.
As your child heads back to school this fall, following these simple safety tips can help ensure their valuables don't fall into the wrong hands. To learn more about protecting your child's belongings at school with the innovative security solutions from Master Lock, visit Masterlock.com/personal-use/school-gym-health-club.